b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Origin of the Alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Origin of the Alphabet
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:10:09 -0500

As you have observed, the Hebrew is regarded by many to be the "lashon
haKodesh" (the holy language) which qualifies as sanctified, as you have
said. I make no empirical claim except with respect to the assertion of how
the tongue is regarded by many through the millenia. in addition, my poorly
worded point about the alphabet should have indicated instead that the Hebrew
alphabet itself connotes full meaning and symbolism individually as well as
in combinatory ways that is missing from Greek/English translations of the
Hebrew texts. For example, in the English, an 'a' is an 'a' and nothing more.
But, in the Hebrew, each letter is assigned a number and word picture based
upon ancient scripts. Thus, Hebrew words can better be understood by
examining each letter used then how they correspond and relate to each other.
The word "kelev," for example conveys more than just "dog" as it would be
limited to in the English. "Ke" and "lev" in combination convey, as close as
I can make out, 'man's best friend.' (In a related way, I think, academic
denunciations of the Hebrew as 'the language of G-d' seem to be irrelevant to
the historical understanding of the TNKh texts as far as the tribes are
concerned.)

Thanks for your reply, sir.

Dave