b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:50:19 -0500

It's not "the desire of women" - it's "The most desirable among women", and Daniel is referring to Israel

Shoshanna

Is there anything in the B-Hebrew archives regarding chemdat nashyim
(ìdesire of womenî) in Daniel 11:37? Many commentators say this Hebrew
phrase means the prophesied ìkingî will be gay; that is, he will have no
regard for the desire of women. To me, it seems more logical to take it as
a reference to the Messiah, who was the Desire of Women in the sense that
young Jewish women wished and hoped that they might become the mother of the
promised Messiah.

Doesnít Haggai 2:7 have a similar Hebrew construction (ìdesire
of all nationsî) as a clear reference to the coming Messiah?

I guess Iím just surprised that so few commentators (almost none, in
fact) share my interpretation here. In fact, the few times this view is
even mentioned by exegetes is in a derogatory way. Thatís why I was hoping
someone could direct me to the B-Hebrew archives (or somewhere else) for any
light the Hebrew grammar and context might shed on this issue. Thank you,

Gary Hedrick

San Antonio, Texas USA

garyh AT cjfm.org