b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] vowel length

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "omar nshea" <omarnshea AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] vowel length
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:00:15 +0100

Dear Yitzhak,

Many thanks for that wonderful summary of Khan's work. I've gone back to the
articles and could read with more focus,
knowing what I had to look for this time round. The argument seems to have
been inferred not only from the external sources like
Hidayat al-qari etc etc but also from within the system itself: distribution
of gay'ot etc.
What struck me most was the fact that non-Karaite sources revealed
distinctly further divisions beyond the usual binary-ness short vs long.

intrigued by your idea on accents as indicators of length retained on the
plane of cantillation (did
I read correctly the idea that sometimes an accent in cantillation extends
the vowel to four peaks?)

thanks, and top regards
Omar.