b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] silver refining-cupellation?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] silver refining-cupellation?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:25:14 -0800

Kenneth:

I looked up "cupellation" in Google, and found many sites that explain
it better than I can in a message, so I would refer you there.

I looked up a second Google search for ancient silver refining, and
apparently until the mercury amalgamation technique was invented in
Mexico in the 1500s, cupellation was the only known method for
refining silver.

Karl W. Randolph.