b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 1:28 (saal)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mark Spitsbergen <awakesd AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 1:28 (saal)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 10:58:55 -0700

Look again at the context. Especially verse 11. "Lent" is an incorrect
translation. A more correct yet not too rigidly Hebraic translation,
"I ask that he be for the Lord all his days, he was asked to be for
the Lord." In other words, she was asking Eli to take her son to be
with him in God's service.

Karl W. Randolph.

Karl, how then do you make the proper distinction from $:)"LFTI
(se'elati/my petition) and $F)AL:TI (sa'alti/to ask) of verse 27 (I hope
the nomenclature is correct)? I would have thought that you would translate
the hifil perfect, first person common singular with a third person
masculine singular suffix- "I have dedicated him." This would be more in
keeping with Hannah's vow as well as the possible wordplay. By the way I am
looking beyond the contribution of David Kimchi.

Mark Spitsbergen
San Diego, CA