b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "extra" patach in Ex 20,3 / Deut 5,7 ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary Martin" <garmar AT u.washington.edu>
  • To: "'Yigal Levin'" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "extra" patach in Ex 20,3 / Deut 5,7 ?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:01:57 -0700

Thank you Yigal. I should have mentioned that I had come across your posting
dated February 19, 2004 and read your earlier response there. I appreciate
the further information you provide here. I should add that I came across
that posting just yesterday after noticing the phenomenon and, not finding
any ready information in my standard works on the Masorah (Yeivin, Ginsburg,
etc.) did a Google search that landed me here:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2004-February/017259.html
So I joined the b-hebrew list serve and have already profited much in less
than 24 hours!

In looking through my library a bit further this evening, I did find a note
on the phenomenon in Wickes, "Treatise on the Accentuation of the Twenty-One
So-Called Prose Books of the Old Testament" (2-volume reprint, KTAV, 1970)
in Appendix I: "Notes on some difficult or otherwise noteworthy passages,"
pp. 130-131, which generally states what you have written here, and further
explains the terms ta'am 'elyon and ta'am taxton in footnote 6 on pg. 131.
Thanks very much!

Gary