b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 8:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Otto Erlend Nordgreen" <ottoerlend AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 8:9
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:03:16 +0000

Dear Rosangela Lira,

You wrote:

<< Is the most probable translation in Daniel 8:9 "from one of the winds" or "from one of the horns"? >>

A very interesting question! Both translations seem possible (at least this is what several scholars have told me); thus, either the little horn is said to be coming from one of the four horns or it came from one of the "winds" (= directions). Either way, I think the point is that the little horn came from one of the Hellenistic kingdoms (viz. Syria).

For more details on the syntax, see the forthcoming study (on Dan 8) by Martin Pröbstle.

Best regards

Otto E. Nordgreen
Oslo, Norway

Die neue MSN Suche Toolbar mit Windows-Desktopsuche. Suchen Sie gleichzeitig im Web, Ihren E-Mails und auf Ihrem PC! - http://desktop.msn.de/ Kostenlos downloaden!