b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Final caphs in lexical entries for verbs -- with or without sheva

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "A. Philip Brown II" <philipbrown AT apbrown2.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Final caphs in lexical entries for verbs -- with or without sheva
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:25:21 -0400

Shalom,

In working with HALOT and BDB, I've noticed that verb lemmas that end in
final caph sometimes are listed with a sheva in the caph (e.g., )RK, HLK )
and sometimes not (BRK, DWK).

Clines _Dictionary of Classical Hebrew_, however, appears to consistently
omit the sheva as I would have expected; Holladay on the other hand
consistently includes it.

Does anyone know why the discrepancy? Is there a "rule" that governs this?

Thanks.

Philip Brown

  • [b-hebrew] Final caphs in lexical entries for verbs -- with or without sheva, A. Philip Brown II, 10/18/2006