b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 14 'smoothed' to Romans 3 in Greek OT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 14 'smoothed' to Romans 3 in Greek OT
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:02:19 +0200

Dear Sujata,

Despite aish-hatorah's claims, scribal error (ta'ut sofrim) was a recognized aspect of manual copying of scrolls. It's one of the reasons the Masoretes used qeri and ketiv.

As far as purposely "smoothing over" texts - I think we're talking about somethiing that was done by Christians to the Greek text. Look at a lot of Christian (and other) translations today - they basically make the text say what they believe it should say. This is legitamate in translation, which is really a form of interpretation. No surprise there.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "sujata" <shevaroys AT yahoo.com>