b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 23:21:18 -0400

[Steve Miller] There are at least 3 places, all prophecies of the Messiah,
where LXX is more accurate than MT:
1) Ps 22:16 ... They digged my hands and my feet. (Lxx & DSS)
.... like a lion my hands and my feet. (MT)
Previously discussed

2) Isa 7:14 ... and *you* shall call his name Emmanuel. (LXX)
... and *they* shall call his name Emmanuel. (DSS & Matt 1:23)
... and *she* shall call his name Emmanuel. (MT)
The error in the MT is "she shall call his name" vs. the DSS & Matthew which
use the indefinite pronoun "they shall call his name" as in Isa 9:6. The LXX
probably was translating the same Hebrew text as DSS and Matthew, but did
not translate it as accurately as Matthew.
"they shall call his name" means that Emmanuel is not his given name, but
what he is. Same as in Isa. 9:6.
"she shall call his name" means the child's mother would name him that. It
may be what he is or it may just be a statement that God is with us.

3) Isa 53:9 And he put his grave with the wicked; and with a rich man in his
death; (LXX & DSS)
.... in his deaths (MT).
"in his deaths" does not make sense & is used no other place in the Bible.

-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceinwilderness.info