b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Time

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mark Spitsbergen <awakesd AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Time
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:25:41 -0700

It is interesting to note that ZMN (zeman) is translated by the Greek word
'chronos' and not 'kairos' in the Septuagint. Although, I do agree that ZMN
(zeman) denotes an 'appointed time' it is somewhat odd that the second
century BCE translators did not use 'kairos' to translate 'zeman'. Does
anyone have a suggestion as to why the Septuagint translators may have
viewed 'chronos' differently than we do today?

Shalom

Mark Spistbergen