b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Past Tense in Ex. 12:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Past Tense in Ex. 12:13
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:17:08 +1000

The 'waw conversive' which switches tenses is losing favour among many
grammarians. It's an odd concept, the form of which grammarians are finding
other explanations for. FWIW, my explanation: The WEQATAL form (we +
perfect) has no tense of its own, but rather derives its nuance from the
previous clause/verb, which the waw connects it to. It sustains the focus at
the same point indicated by the previous non-WEQATAL form -- that is, it
does not move to a new thought.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College