b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Past Tense in Ex. 12:13

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Past Tense in Ex. 12:13
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:14:41 -0500

Dear Gary,

What I'm curious about, of course, is the fact that he uses past
tense verbs to describe events that are yet in the future. Instead of "When
I see the blood, I will pass over you," as per our English translations, in
the Hebrew it's literally, "When I saw the blood, I passed over you."

Gary

EARLIER POST:

What is the significance of the past tense verbs in Ex. 12:13
("When I saw the blood, I passed over you")?

HH: But this is waw conversive, which is commonly understood to switch the perfective verb to have an imperfective sense (here future).

Yours,
Harold Holmyard