b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on femininity response to Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gesenius on femininity response to Peter
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:32:51 +0100

On 28/09/2006 10:52, Chris and Nel wrote:
Peter, If God threw dice it would deffinately appear random to us, but you know my next thought don't you?

Your next thought is the same as Einstein's, that the randomness is only apparent, not real. But Hawking claims to have shown that this is not true in physics, that not even God knows the outcome of the dice throws. This is not the place to debate that claim, for this is simply an analogy.

Also I would not go as far as saying that gender assignments are random. There is some history behind them, which quite literally only God now knows and can unravel. For you or anyone else to try, beyond a certain limited number of patterns, is fruitless speculation.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org