b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Translating the Psalms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Translating the Psalms
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:09 -0700

Greetings

I am a new member of this list. I am learning the psalms in Hebrew with a
view to portraying them visually. I have done some examples and I have an
evolving tool to help with the diagrams and analysis.

I would be interested in recommendations of books that help see the poetry.
My resources for learning are the BDB lexicon and Lambdin’s introduction to
Biblical Hebrew. My resources for the Psalms are noted on my blog
http://drmacdonald.blogspot.com/ which I am confining to the psalms.

I am sure that some of my translations to date (psalms 1,3,8,23,46,138,145
(75%)) have amusing errors. I have a few questions on Biblical Hebrew.

e.g. It seems to me that the pronominal suffixes can also be attached to
verbs – is that right?

A Hebrew friend says this is only true in archaic poetry. – also true?

In Psalm 3 verse 3 (also in psalm 145 verse 3 just prior to the great
chiasm) there is a three letter word which is not translated in the online
helps: אֵין; aleph – yod – nun; ‘ein transcribed roughly;

What does this construction mean? It is in BDB as whence – implying a
question or perhaps negative qualification. (Whence salvation for him? Not
in God. or in psalm 145: How to search – implied impossible, hence
unsearchable.)

Thanks for the help

Bob

Bob MacDonald