b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Darius

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Robert Newman" <rob AT designceramics.co.uk>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Darius
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:11:31 +0100

Dear John, you write:

The "timeline" contained in BibleWorks shows a
Darius III from 336BC to 331BC and
Darius Nothus 423BC to 404BC and
Darius Hystaspis 521BC to 486
Who are these and what is known about them?
It also says that Darius was defeated at Marathon
490BC but it does not say which this was!
John B. Senterfitt

RN: I guess this question is prompted by an earlier post by Liz Fried who
wrote:

So, we are back to Daniel again. Who are the three kings or four in Daniel
11:2? The fourth one is Darius who was conquered by Alexander, he is Darius
the Persian. The first one is Darius the Mede, then Cyrus. Then Ahasueros,
then Darius the Persian Those are the four kings.

The difficulty is that they know that Darius is the king conquered by
Alexander, but they do not know of more than one Darius. Thus the Rabbis,
Seder Olam, and I presume Daniel, considers that the Artaxerxes under whom
both Nehemiah and Ezra served is the throne name of Darius the Persian.
Best,
Liz Fried

RN:
Daniel 11:1 mentions the time of 'Darius the Mede' as a start point. Darius
the Mede ruled for a time after Cyrus took Babylon, all the other kings of
the Medeo-persian empire were Persian. The three Darius' you ask about are
Persian kings.

Daniel 11:2 The three kings to stand up for Persia are either Cyrus,
Cambyses, Darius I (ommitting Bardiya because he may have only ruled for only
a few months) or as I prefer Cambyses, Bardiya, Darius I (It makes sense not
to count Cyrus, who was already standing as a king of Persia). Another option
would be Cyrus, Cambyses, Bardiya, this latter option points to Darius I as
the forth king.

King Darius I (Hystaspis) did campaign against the Grecian states (it was he
that was forced to retreat at marathon in Greecian territory), but it was the
next king called Xerxes who truely roused everything against the Greecian
states with a campaign to dwalf all others. According to information recorded
by Herodotus, Xerxes army would have amounted to some 2,317,610 men.so we
must conclude that Xerxes is refered to as the forth king (hence why I
conclude either Bardiya or Cyrus is not included in the three. A study of the
dated cuniform documents extant from Bardiya's reign by Rolf Furuli suggests
that he likely ruled about 18 months, which seems like too long a rule to
ignore, Cyrus however was already ruling, so why would he be counted as one
who would stand up?).

There were several kings that followed Xerxes to the Persian throne and none
of those kings took war into Greece. The campaign of Xerxes is of great
significance as Persia's greatest effort to subdue the Greeks. Yet despite
that, it was from Macedonia that a mighty king eventually rose. (I see no
reason to conclude that the forth king of Daniel 11:2 is that last of
Persia's kings, the words are a satifactory description of real history, the
mention of four kings is not a full description of the Persian dynasty it is
just a way of indicating the timing of a momentus event in history)

Following Xerxes was Artaxerxes, then Darius II, Artaxerxes II, Artaxerxes
III, Artaxerxes IV, then Darius III. It is this last Darius who was defeated
by young Alexander. Alexander won three major battles against the Persians
the last of which was at Gaugamela.

regards
Robert Newman