b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 08:07:47 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
Remember, over in Egyptology they are arguing whether Raamses II the
Great was the pharaoh of the Exodus or the pharaoh who sacked
Jerusalem after Solomon died, a difference of two and a half
centuries.

Dear Karl,

The above is not an Egyptological question, it is one of biblical history. There are legitimate arguments among Egyptologists about the precise dates of both Ramses II and Sheshonq I, within a decade or two. But since there are no Egyptian texts of any Pharaoh that mention the Exodus, and Sheshonq I's inscription does not mention Jerusalem, any argument about those events are basically between biblical scholars, about whether the chronology and known deeds of those kings best fits the background of the biblical events in question.

Remember, we get our absolute dates for biblical chronology from Egyptian and (mostly) Mesopotamian documents, not vise-versa.

Yigal Levin