b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Dates of Ezra and Nehemiah
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 04:02:12 +0000

On 9/17/06, K Randolph wrote:

[quoting Liz]
> The document from Elephantine doesn't mention Nehemiah at all.
> The document is dated precisely to Nov. 25, 407 BCE. This is the reign of
> Darius II. It states that the sons of Sanballat are now governors of
> Samaria, and Bagohi is the governor of Judah. Since Nehemiah was governor at
> the time of Sanballat, not the time of his sons, the Artaxerxes that he
> served under must have been Artaxerxes I.

The only thing I know about this Elephantine document is from this
discussion.

I believe Liz is referring to the following document:
http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/westsem/templeauth.html

Liz, the text does not say Sanballat's sons are governors of Samariah. It
may be referring to a situation where Sanballat is now very old and his
sons are now running the province in practice, but the document very
clearly titles Sanballat as "governor of Samariah".

Yitzhak Sapir