b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] origin of evil

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] origin of evil
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:20:15 -0500

I asked this already, why are we interjecting the idea of "morality"? That word is nowhere in the Torah, it is a modern concept only, and angels' actions don't derive evil, since they have no freedom of choice to obey or disobey G-d.

Shoshanna

HH: God says that he creates evil, so of course you can say that. But
clearly moral evil is due to moral agents, and God as a moral agent does
not produce moral evil because he is holy. However, angels and men do
produce moral evil by contravening God's good will.

HH: Right, but I think Isa 45:7 is using the term "evil" in the sense of
"disaster." I understand what you are saying about moral evil being a
by-product of God's creation of the world. However, it was not a
necessary by-product, since it is due to the free will choices of moral
beings. He was not the direct Creator of moral evil, since it arose
through angels and human beings.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard