b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Seperating the beasts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Seperating the beasts
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 14:50:01 -0700

Hey, you guys:

This is waaayyy off subject.

To make a connection with B-Hebrew, "beast" in Revelation is not
defined nor anywhere else in the New Testament. Given the New
Testament practice to reuse terminology, phraseology and other
illustrations from Tanakh, to refer to the same subjects, what does a
"beast" refer to in similar visions in Tanakh? Then use that to
understand Revelation. I would not be surprised if the result is
different from what either of you expect.

To jump start your analysis, what do different "beasts" refer to in
the visions of Daniel?

Karl W. Randolph.

On 9/8/06, Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com> wrote:
Dear John,

>HH: There is one problem with this analysis. The beast that comes up out
>of the abyss is not Satan but is the antichrist (Rev 17:8). Your mistake
>is understandable, since Satan is pictured as a dragon and also comes up
>out of the abyss (Revelation 20).
>

>Let me draw your attention to Revelation chapter 13 and in verse four the
Dragon (satan, according to 12:9.) gives his complete power over to a beast
which is the Antichrist and he does have complete authority during the 1000
years while satan is confined in the pit.

HH: That's not true. The beast is sent to the lake of fire (Rev. 19:20)
before the dragon is sent to the abyss (Rev 20:2-3).

>Revelation 17:8-11 describes satan as a beast but we know which one he is by
the way he is defined.
>"The Beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascent out of the
bottomless pit, and go into perdition". and is not, refers to the 1000 years he is
confined in the pit.

HH: Satan is never described using the word "beast." The beast in 17:8
is the same one as described in 13:3-4 as receiving a deadly wound and
being healed:

,,,

HH: Satan is later called the devil, and is again contrasted with the beast:

Rev. 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of
burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown.
They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard