b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 30:13-14; conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 30:13-14; conjunction
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 05:20:22 +0200

Dear Kerry,

It is impossible to speak or to read a long text without dividing it into
sub-units, which we call sentances, and the "biblcial"equivalent of is
verses. So that there must have been a tradition of how to devide up this
passage since it was originally written. However, the actual "punctuation
marks" (which is one of the functions of the cantilation marks) were only
added into the written text by the Mesoretes in the early middle ages. True,
that the Mesoretes mainly simply put in writing what was already passed down
to them through tradition. And yes, there are places in which modern
scholars have challenged the Mesoretes, when the traditional divisions did
not make sense. In this case, the traditional reading makes perfect sense.
So why change it?

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kerry VonDross" <vondross AT execpc.com>