b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:5 - and ye shall be as gods

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:5 - and ye shall be as gods
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:28:47 -0500

Dear Steven,

Sorry about the typos in the last post. I wanted to add that the NET Bible translation demonstrated its awareness of the principle I talked about, regarding the KJV comma in Gen 3:5 after "like God," because the NET Bible removes that comma. This allows an attributive sense to "knowing.' The NET Bible has:

for God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will open and you will be like divine beings who know good and evil.”

HH: I would stay with the KJV comma that makes knowing predicative, but I would identify 'elohim with the same 'elohim that occurs in the previous 50 occurrences of the word in the Bible, the Creator God. However, the other reading is possible. So there are really three options here, since the translation of 'elohim is a separate issue from the handling of the participle.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard