b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2300 evening - mornings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2300 evening - mornings
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:16:31 -0500

Joel Stucki wrote:

Yes I never found the absence of of the object marker to be an
insurmountable problem,It just would have been nice to make the object
less ambiguous my bigger concern was the vav prefixing what was
intended to be the direct object according to KJV and most
translations. The way they dealt with this was to translate it as
"both" which seems unjustified.

HH: I see no problem with translating a vav as "both." See BDB, s.v. W, at 1h., where they sat that vav repeated equals "both . . . and." And Dan 8:13 is listed for this usage.

As to the criticisms of the NAB I
won't disagree. I tend to like very exact renderings as well but not
every translation has that as a goal. I just liked that they rethought
the object of TT.
My main argument against the KJV and other trans that follow it is the
interpretation of a compound direct object with both prefixed with vav
and rendered in English as "Both objecta and objectb" I can't recall
ever seeing this construction before. Is there any other example of a
compound direct object with both objects carrying the vav?

HH: How would I know offhand? It seems grammatically possible though. Jeremiah 13:14 is not quite it, but close. Psalm 76:7 shows such a construction functioning as subjects, not objects.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard