b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagintal influence on Masoretic Hebrew text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Eric Weiss <papaweiss1 AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagintal influence on Masoretic Hebrew text
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:21:05 +0100

On 13/08/2006 19:22, Eric Weiss wrote:
Dave Washburn wrote:

Who published this New Testament you're looking at?... Sounds to me like you've got somebody's unsupported propaganda in your hands.

That was my response, too, but I wanted something to hang that on - i.e., some sources that would show, e.g., that the Hebrew of the MT is NOT in large part "Medieval Hebrew" and that the MT is patently not a re-translation from a LXX text back into Hebrew.

When was this book published? I suppose before the DSS were discovered this could not be disproved. But the discovery of the DSS has proved that the MT, at least its consonants, dates from before the Christian era, with only rather minor changes since then e.g. in the Isaiah scroll. The suggestion that MT is "medieval" is thereby completely disproved. It is hard to prove that the text is much earlier, but the Hebrew is clearly different from that of most non-biblical DSS and in significant ways closer to pre-exilic inscriptions. This strongly suggests that the MT text is to a large extent some centuries older than the DSS, and probably dates back to a period before Greek was widely known in the land of Israel - which would be rather inconsistent with it being a translation of any kind of Greek text.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org