b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:00:00 +0100

On 10/07/2006 15:53, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:
Yitzhak,

Regarding your last paragraph. It should be noted that Ugaritic, being a
Semitic
language is very close to Hebrew, which as we all know (?) is also Semitic. In
fact, I would not be surprised that Moshe would take Tehom and "undivinize"
it.
It would make complete sense for a person who is monotheistic and considers
all
other "gods" as false gods, i.e., do not exist. ...

In fact this is more or less what early modern, mostly Christian, astronomers did with Jupiter - no longer a god but a lump of rock. Similarly, to Moses surely Tehom was no longer a god but a mass of water.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org