b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] bara vs' bero in Genesis 1:1
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:24:38 +0100

Ok, I started to be convinced of parallels is between
the Genesis creation account and the Enuma Elish so I
went away to find a copy to read it and see for myself.
I found an online copy here http://www.sacred-texts.com/ane/enuma.htm

Upon first glance I noticed that the epic is split up
into 7 tablets and thought that maybe these 7 tablets
would correspond to the 7 days of creation if there
was any similarity. So I start reading the first tablet
and the first major difference I notice is that Tiamat
is immediately personified and there is no doubt
whatsoever in this account that we are talking about a
godess. However, it soon becomes evident that the 7
tablets do not correspond to 7 days of creation and in
fact there is very little mention of creation, except
for the things already created, in the first five
tablets. In fact, I would be more inclined to describe
the first four tablets as a 'preparation for war epic'
than as a creation epic. I see more parallels between
the account of David and Goliath and this epic than with
the Genesis creation account. The whole saga seems to
be about Marduk earning his place in battle against a
formidable foe.

There is no such battle preparation in the Genesis
creation account. In fact, there is not even a battle.
There is only elohim creating the earth and the heavens
and preparing them for his final creation of mankind.

If there are any real parallels, you have to look hard
for them. It is true that Tiamat is cut in two and one
half is used to stop the waters above but no such
allusion is made in Genesis. In Genesis, the lifeless
waters are merely separated.

In light of Genesis claim that languages were confused
at Babel (Babylon) it is hardly surprising that we may
find similar preBabel epics and, in fact, similarities
in preBabel epics only go to support the biblical claim
that languages were confused at this place. Babylonian
epics should be the first place we should look for
parallel accounts of preBabel epics and, in fact, we
also see the epic of Gilgamesh supporting cataclismic
claims made by Genesis. The fact that the existence of
such epics may predate Moshe would go to show that Moshe
may have made use of sources prior to him.

Also, note the following quote taken from the page
linked above:

[Note: Strictly speaking, the text is not a creation-legend, though it gives
a variant form of the principal incident in the history of the creation
according to the Enuma Elish. Here the fight with the dragon did not precede
the creation of the world, but took place after men had been created and
cities had been built.]

I think I would agree that this account cannot be
strictly viewed as a creation account. It is clear that
its agenda is more an account of Marduk earning his
place in battle than anything else.

Now, the existence of postBabel parallel epics would be
a different matter entirely. Do the list members know of
any such postBabel parallel epics? I would be interested
in reading up on them if there are.

James C. Read
UK