b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 33:17 - the horns of unicorns

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joel Stucki" <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew-lists. ibiblio. org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 33:17 - the horns of unicorns
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:09:44 -0700

On 7/8/06, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 7/8/06, schmuel wrote:

> As indicated above, in the Hebrew horns is plural form with definite
article,
> unicorns is singular form, no article.

The word qarney is not in the plural but in the dual. The plural of qeren is
qarnot. Compare also yad, yadayim, yadot. The word re'em is probably
"wild ox" and a singular "wild ox" fits perfectly as a parallel to "bullock."

I agree with Yitzhak primarily, but I would also say that since this
is obviously a symbolic phrase there is no reason to suppose this has
to be a real animal. I did a quick seach and it seems to only be used
in a symbolic sense and generally as a symbol of great strength or
power. If anyone is aware of a more literal reference to the word
please share. Personally I like unicorns :)