b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] AA - Alcohol Apology

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.apu.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] AA - Alcohol Apology
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:35:37 +0100

Tony wrote:
I had hoped that this list might be above ad hominem attacks...
END QUOTE

Oh dear! Didn't realise there was anything wrong with
having a drink or two. Eccliastes itself says there is
nothing better than going home and having a drink and
something to eat after a day's work.

If anyone else has been offended by the suggestion of
drinking I apologise in advance as it was not my
intention to cause any offense. Thankfully, it appears
that Joel (the person being addressed) has retained a
healthy sense of humour and I can only suggest that
you too Tony try to foster a similar sense of humour
unless you would rather foster an environment where
everyone must closely guard their speech for fear that
someone may be offended by the mere mention of alcohol.

Anyway, in understanding that not all have Joel's sense
of humour I apologise again to any that may have found
references to alcohol offensive in any way.

I have purposefully posted this public apology in a
new thread so that the original thread need not be
deviated away from discussions of meaning of biblical
phrases and texts. I hope this doesn't cause offense
to anyone and apologise in advance to any whose email
client is offended by too many subject headings.

James C. Read
UK

P.S. I personally don't take any offense to being
branded as a heretic burning fundamentalist who is
unwilling to listen to new theories and refutes the
authority of pagan texts.

I apologise to any other heretic burning fundamentalists
on Joel's behalf as it was I who provoked him to make
such a joke. I would ask my fellow heretic burning
fundamentalists to retain a sense of humour and to not
take Joel's light hearted jest so seriously.

ay have found
referen