b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 09:10:00 -0500

Dear Yitzhak,

List readers may be interested in the following article:

"Explaining God's Name in Exodus 3," Congress Volume of the
IOSOT Meeting, Basel 2001 (eds. Matthias Augustin and Hermann
Michael Niemann), (Bern: Peter Lang, 2004).
http://www.nelc.ucla.edu/Faculty/Schniedewind_files/Schniedewind_Explaining_Gods_Name_Exodus3.pdf

HH: Thanks. I enjoyed William M. Schniedewind's article, "Explaining God's Name in Exodus 3," except that I do not accept his conclusions about a post-exilic provenance for the text or interpretation. He mentions the relevant details and comes to what seems the proper conclusion as to the interpretation of the name itself, based on present knowledge. I will trry to remember the phrase "idem per idem" and also the cross reference to Exodus 33:19:

Ex. 33:19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will proclaim before you the name, ‘The LORD’; and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard