b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Respose canaanites and Language etc. and Suggested Reading

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Joel Stucki <joel AT stucki.ws>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Respose canaanites and Language etc. and Suggested Reading
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:09:49 +0100

On 01/07/2006 19:53, Joel Stucki wrote:

For the record I believe in the general historicity of the Tanakh. I
would love nothing more than for someone to unearth a copy of the
Torah from 1200 BCE. Such a find would shake the world even more than
the DSS. I would love for someone to find Egyptian records of Moshe,
the exodus and the plagues. But alas these records have not been found
and the support for the biblical claims rests entirely on faith.

Joel, do you accept that Julius Caesar invaded Britain? If so, if I remember correctly, you do so on the basis of just one text, Julius' own report. Does your acceptance of this "rest[] entirely on faith"? Or do you accept it because the one text which states this seems to be reliable and there is no reason to doubt the claim?

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org