b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Also asking a question - Re: YHWH is Aramaic?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:33:46 EDT

In a message dated 06/29/2006 7:17:58 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
rosewalk AT concentric.net writes:................

Also, can you remind me why Ehyeh asher Ehyeh is translated as I AM
and not in future? Every Jewish Commentary, when expounding on it,
makes the assumption that we all know that the word is used as
future tense.

*************

Quite a few Christian commentaries make the same point, but since the
imperfect aspect can be translated both ways according to context, the
divergence
comes in understanding the context.

Yet, I doubt that the context of Exodus 3:14 differs from the context of
Exodus 3:12, where even the KJV and a lot of others translate ehyeh as "I
will
be." There hardly exists a contextual or grammatical reason for saying
anything other than "I will be" at Exodus 3:14.

In the book, _201 Hebrew Verbs_ Abraham S. Halkin lists ehyeh as the future
aspect of the kal of HYH. Of recent translators Propp (Anchor Bible),
Everett Fox, and Robert Alter go with some form of "I Will Be."

Solomon Landers