b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH is Aramaic?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] YHWH is Aramaic?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:50:12 -0500

1. I think that there is a strong reason to think that G-d has name(s) all His own - a. so that we could refer to Him, pray to Him, call on Him, etc. and b. to give us some hint of various aspects of what Divinity consists of.

2. G-d and His name preceded ancient Hebrew

3. EhYeh asher EhYeh = I will be that which I will be.

I think there was a discussion of this on this list a year or so ago.

Shoshanna

1) There is no strong reason to think that God has a name like Ralph to
distinguish him from others, since there is only one God.

2) Ancient Hebrew names meant something.

3) The explaining of the divine name in the context of the name "I am"
suggests that Yahweh is a meaningful word, too, and the form of Yahweh
is quite similar to the verb for "I am," except in a third person form.
Here is the HCSB Exodus 3:13-15:

13 Then Moses asked God, "If I go to the Israelites and say to them: The
God of your fathers has sent me to you, and they ask me, 'What is His
name?' what should I tell them?"

14 God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to
the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you." 15 God also said to Moses,
"Say this to the Israelites: Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God of
Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.
This is My name forever; this is how I am to be remembered in every
generation.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard