b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew - dialect of canaanite

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Chris and Nel" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew - dialect of canaanite
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 04:25:01 -0500

Chris:

You have heard from the minimalists, now for
another side of the story.

Looking at Genesis, we find even a literary style
implying that when Moses put the all the narratives
together into one book, that he was working from
written sources that went back to Adam. The
question is, how much massaging of the language did
Moses do when he edited and combined those previous
documents?

It is recognized that Biblical Hebrew was one of
several similar languages spoken in the ANE, some
of which were so close that apparently speakers of
one language could understand what speakers of a
different language said, albeit not perfectly. A
good example being Hebrew and Moabite. Others were
not so close, e.g. Hebrew and Aramaic where
speakers of one did not understand the other
language.

As for the dating, any date that you see is an
educated guess, some more accurate than others. I
am quite comfortable with a date for the Exodus at
about 1450 BC with the invasion under Joshua about
1400 BC. With Moses having written most of Torah,
we have a pretty good idea of at least written
Hebrew from that period to about a century after
the Babylonian Captivity.

There are a lot of loose threads that are neither
tied up nor recorded in Tanakh: e.g. how close were
ancient Canaanite and Hebrew? Did Jacob and his
sons have to learn two languages in order to speak
with Canaanites? Living in Egypt for a few
generations would allow Hebrew to develop apart
from Canaanite, yet it seems that Israelites had no
problem communicating with the various Canaanite
peoples, including the Philistines, implying that
their languages were quite close.

Could Abraham and Moses carried on a conversation
without a translator? If the above is true that
Moses worked from written sources and changed them
little to none, then maybe so. Not perfectly, but
they could understand each other.

Karl W. Randolph.