b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] daughters jacob never spoke of
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:43:05 -0500

There's so much more to the "story" and the commandments than the written text

Ok I accept that you read these statements as attempts to persuade readers of the validity and absolute truth of Oral Torah.

But from MY point of view, I was sharing, not persuading.

Since I do believe that Torah is absolute truth, when I share my beliefs, I think that no matter how I say it, you would think I was proselytizing, and if I contribute to discussions on this list, it will always be from that perspective, so I am doomed in advance....

As for science and archeology, there really are many examples. I don't agree that if I tell this to the group, tell the group of the wisdom of the Torah,it is proselytizing.

Shoshanna

Shoshanna, I refer to statements of yours like:
It is not chauvanistic to say that you won't get a proper education or understanding if you don't learn the material. It is a true thing to say, that you can't understand Torah from just the written text alone.

As far as archeology and increasing scientific knowledge, over and over again, they "discover" what Torah, including Oral Torah, and those who taught and wrote down Torah, taught thousands of years ago and extracted during that time.

I read these as attempts to persuade readers of the validity and absolute truth of Oral Torah.

You give me the impression that you reject out of hand anything that comes from Oral Torah. If that's true, isn't that less tolerant than my position?

I do not consider it authoritative or to derive from Moses, although doubtless much of it is good teaching from godly rabbis. But I am not presenting my position as absolute truth or attempting to convert anyone else to it.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org