b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Princess Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Arne Halbakken <1stluth AT smig.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Princess Ruth
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:22:00 -0500

Yigal,

As you know, the targumim are very difficult to date with precision.

E. Levin ("The Aramaic Version of Ruth," Analecta Biblica 76, Rome: 1973) would contend that Tg Ruth has some pre-Rabbinic halakah. (But that does not necessarily mean that Tg Ruth pre-dates the Mishnah.)

It would be interesting to check Ruth Rabba as well. However, the classical amoraic midrashim would be dated later than Tg Ruth.

Arne Halbakken

Thank you. Depending on the date of the Targum of Ruth, which I don't know
offhand, this could be the earliest refference to this midrash, or have been
influenced by the Talmud.

Yigal