b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] talmud ... batting average

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: C60605 AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] talmud ... batting average
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 23:41:31 EDT

-
yigal....ou make it sound as if the "web-sites and references to 14
daughters" are
on par with the biblical text. They are not. The biblical text is our only
primary source. The rest is various attempts to understand the text, all of
which depend on the interpreters' own assumptions and prejudices (such as my
assumption that it would be unlikely that Jacob had only one daughter, and
Sujata's experience of families of multiple same-sex children). We must not
confuse the two.

.... j Anna ... with my lack of knowledge re talmud and any other
extra-biblical jewish sources, i'd really love to know what the ''batting
average'' of these sources are.

Then perhaps i could make some rational decision as to whether i wish to
believe these sources when they have 14 daughters for jacob. How often are
these sources correct ? How often are they wrong ? And, yes, i have to
assume
there's a LARGE space for ''who the heck knows'' .... space for those items
about which we will never know with any certainty. Perhaps the 14 daughters
falls into this latter category.
-
-

  • [b-hebrew] talmud ... batting average, C60605, 06/18/2006