b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Collecting Wow stories

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Karyn Traphagen <karyn AT birchbarkstudio.com>
  • To: Edward Andrews <edandrews AT adelphia.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Collecting Wow stories
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:29:11 -0400

On Jun 13, 2006, at 2:01 AM, Edward Andrews wrote:

My wow comes with Exodus 3:13, 15, when I first learned that God has a personal name. For those who speak Hebrew, it is full of meaning. It comes from the basic Hebrew root ???, h·w·h, meaning, "to become" However, the name is in the causative form, Hiph·?il´, expressing causative action. This has helped me to appreciate that God's personal name is not about His existence but instead that he causes things to come to be or to come about according to His will or purpose. When He chose to free His people from Egyptian bondage, He caused it to be. Is it not comforting, to realize, there is no power that can stand in the way of the things JHVH (YHWH) purposes to do? Thus, He causes Himself to be the fulfiller of His promises to His creatures, His name alone assures us that something will be done, it is certain. Furthermore, a personal name to me equals a personal relationship. It boggles the mind to think one can actually have a personal relationship with the Creator of all things!

Edward Andrews

Grand Canyon University

Edward, could you (or others on the list) explain how you defend a hiphil parsing of the tetragrammaton? I'm curious to track this down further.

Thanks,
Karyn Traphagen
Westminster Theological Seminary