b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Collecting Wow stories

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Avi Wollman" <avi.wollman AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Collecting Wow stories
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:44:57 +0300

I was thinking of Ruth 1,15 the WOW of a princess going away from her
family, home and richness to be with Naomi her God and nation leaving
ALL.

Avi Wollman

On 6/13/06, bowick AT idirect.com <bowick AT idirect.com> wrote:
Hi folks:

I was wondering if you would be willing to share stories or places where
your knowledge of Hebrew has let you see something in the text, or have an
insight that made you say 'wow'. I am not thinking of advanced studies,
and the cutting edge insights you have made so much as I am asking us to
reflect back on our early experiences with the language. In some cases,
later reflection may have led us to discard aspects of those insights, but
their emotional impact remains.

My purpose is to collect stories to motivate beginning students. We know
that learning Hebrew is a lot of work, and it can get discouraging. These
stories can give students, perhaps some even lurking on this list, a
reminder of why they are doing it.

A couple come to my mind just to get the ball rolling.

First, I remember when I was first reviewing the declension of the pronoun
MIN, and saw the Hebrew of Emmanuel.

Another one was from Psalm 27:4 which reads ACHAT SHALTI ME'ET Y''H.
(Typing from memory). When I first read that the vowels of ME'ET slit to
MA'AT and I read it not as the preposition MIN withe the direct object
marker, but rather as a construct state with the Egyptian noun MAAT. "One
thing I ask - the MAAT (Order) of the LORD." Now I have had enough
eyebrows raised telling people about this to think the proposal is a bit of
a reach, but for me it has become a significant part of my reading of that
prayer, as I seek the divine order of the LORD in my life.

My guess is many of you have much better stories and insights. Lets
collect them to motivate the novices on the list, and also to help one
another encourage our students.

James Bowick