b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Sederim Divisions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brak <Brak AT neo.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Sederim Divisions
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:15:27 -0500

In the LC and also Hebrew Bibles published my Koren Publishers have the Sederim notated.

Some places where these divisions are placed make sense, but many of them do not.

Here are just two:
Judges 4:24 (Why isn't it 5:1)
Judges 14:15 (Why isn't it 15:1)

But where the really weird stuff located is in the Minor Prophets.
Now the Minor Prophets, as I assume you all know, are considered as one book, so the count doesn't restart to one at the beginning of each book. If you look at the 4th sederim its at Hosea 14:6, the 5th is at Joel 2:27 - why isn't the seder break at Joel 1:1?
That is just plain weird in my world of logic. This happens all throughout the Minor Prophets.

This weirdness is also found in the Psalms where the breaks land near the chapter break by a verse or two, but not on the chapter break.

SO my question is what is the rhyme and reason to this. What is the method to this seemingly madness. For to have the 4th division of the Minor Prophets occur at Hosea 14:6 and not Joel 1:1 (or even the 5th division occurring at Joel 2:27 instead of Joel 1:1) just doesn't make any sense what so ever to me. So if anyone can enlighten me please do.

--

John

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."
-Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

  • [b-hebrew] Sederim Divisions, Brak, 06/01/2006