b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Phonetic text of the tanach

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Susan Jeffers <susan AT read-the-bible.org>
  • To: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Phonetic text of the tanach
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:28:46 -0400

One benefit to such transliterations is that it enables a person to spot cognates in languages whose script one does not read. For example I used to miss the point of commentary notes that compared Arabic to Hebrew words, because I didn't know the Arabic alphabet. But when both are transliterated the similarities are obvious even to me. Of course, I do need to learn Arabic and am working on it!

Also it's my impression that there is a standard correspondence between Hebrew characters and the international phonetic alphabet, so that pronunciation differences wouldn't come into play - is that true? There wouldn't be much point in standardizing on the phonetic alphabet if one version wrote the sound as bet and another as beis, for the same Hebrew letter.

I'd certainly be grateful to know of work already done on this, as well.

Susan Jeffers