b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relative Pronoun ASHER

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: ian.young AT arts.usyd.edu.au
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relative Pronoun ASHER
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:57:59 -0700

On 4/21/06, Ian Young wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two questions relating to the relative pronoun ASHER.
>
> 1. At the 2004 SBL in San Antonio I atttended an excellent paper by
> Robert (I think) Holmstedt on the topic. Can anyone telll me if
> Holmstedt has published anything on this topic?

Dear Ian Young,

Robert Holmstedt's cv is at:
http://www.utoronto.ca/nmc/faculty/holmstedtcv.html

This lists the following presentation:
2004. "The Diachronics of אשר." Paper presented at the Annual meeting of SBL.
San Antonio, Nov. 21.

Also, his 2002 M.A. dissertation is:
"The Relative Clause in Biblical Hebrew: A Linguistic Analysis."
It can be accessed at:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/holmstedt/HolmstedtDissertation.pdf

Also, note the following comments from the list archives:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/b-hebrew/2005-February/022380.html
Ken Penner wrote:
> ... I thought I'd mention Robert Holmstedt's paper at SBL San
> Antonio on the diachronics of אֲשֶר )$R. He did discuss the
> usage of אֲשֶר )$R vis-à-vis שְ $ in Late Biblical Hebrew, but
> I'm not sure I recall his conclusions exactly. I do have a note
> that Huehnergard had a forthcoming article "On the Etymology
> of the Hebrew Relative שְ $."

I guess that article is now published in:
"Biblical Hebrew in Its Northwest Semitic Setting: Typological and
Historical Perspectives" ed. Steven E. Fassberg and Avi Hurvitz
http://www.eisenbrauns.com/wconnect/wc.dll?ebGate~EIS~~I~FASBIBLIC
http://www.magnespress.co.il/website_en/index.asp?category=173&id=2634

The program contents are at:
http://www.as.huji.ac.il/biblicalprog%20.html