b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Relative Pronoun ASHER

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Young <ian.young AT arts.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Relative Pronoun ASHER
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:49:53 +1000

Hi,

Two questions relating to the relative pronoun ASHER.

1. At the 2004 SBL in San Antonio I atttended an excellent paper by
Robert (I think) Holmstedt on the topic. Can anyone telll me if
Holmstedt has published anything on this topic?

2. Some of the formulae used in the Qumran Pesher Habakkuk use ASHER.
There is:

PISHRO ASHER e.g. in VI:6 "It's interpretation ASHER they divide their
yoke..."

PESHER HADABAR ASHER e.g. in V:3 "The interpretation of the word/thing
ASHER God will not consume his people..."

How do people see the use of ASHER in these cases? I'm just finding it
hard to get a handle on how it is being used. Any biblical analogies
you can think of?

Thanks very much.

Ian Young
University of Sydney