b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Revdpickrel AT wmconnect.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:43:10 -0500

Doug:

Now you mention the day=age theory. This is what
I say that the text excludes. As one Christian
literalist told me, "The question is not what God
could have done, but what did God SAY he did?"

You bring in things from outside the text. You
mention Einstein, modern science, the frozen flora
and fauna found in the tundra of Alaska and Siberia
(earlier message) and you claim that God is "the
Master Scientist". The last brings up the question,
do modern scientists follow the same science as
God? If not, then the statements of the Master
Scientist should take precedence over the claims
of modern scientists.

As far as Einstein is concerned, back in my college
days I commented to physicist friends that I had
trouble with the image of atoms as described by
quantum mechanics, and gave an alternate
description based on experiments: their answer was
the quantum mechanics was not a description, rather
just a series of mathematical models which worked,
but could very well be wrong. In fact, they said
that my understanding fits the experimental data
better than did the mathematical models of quantum
mechanics, but in order for my understanding to be
accepted, I would have to "do the math" - make
mathematical formulae that would describe what the
experiments show. Well, I'm not good at math (much
to the disgust of my math prof father) so that was
out of the question. (An interesting (to me)
sidelight: when I disagree with evolution,
biologists get all emotional and accuse me of
attacking science; but when I attack quantum
mechanics, physicists quietly evaluate and discuss
what I say. The difference is: evolution is a
deeply held religious belief that masquerades as
science, while physics is science.) Recently I
found a site, http://www.commonsensescience.org
where a group of scientists apparently have done
the math that I was unable to do.

The conclusion I draw is that the text of Genesis 1
describes a six day creation where each day is the
equivalent of a 24 hour day. It is immaterial to
the discussion whether or not anyone believes
this description, what Einstein said or other
discoveries that may or may not have been made,
what we have here is a linguistic question asking
for a linguistic answer. I read years ago, I think
it was in a book by Dr. Bolton Davidheiser, biology
prof then at San Jose Sate University, that a
creationist organization sent letters to profs of
Hebrew at major universities throughout the U.S.
asking the question, "day" when connected to a
number, as in Genesis 1, does it mean the
equivalent of a 24 hour day, or could it mean a
long period of time? Of those who answered, the
unanimous response was that it referred only to a
day, and that an age is not indicated. I personally
have seen nothing that contradicts that assessment.

Karl W. Randolph.