b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT key term lists

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT key term lists
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:00:02 -0500

Dear Jae-Hee,

I have TWOT and NIDOTTE with me. It seems to me that TWOT is not really
helpful, but
at the moment NIDOTTE would be the most useful in checking OT key terms.
However,
NIDOTTE has whole lot of subject index and index of sematic fields, etc.
But what I am looking for is now like KTBH(Key Terms in Biblical Hebrew),
maybe.
That is not just for theological or biblical studies, but for a good tool
for translating or checking important key terms consistently in the OT.
(For example, I would like to check the use of "sin(s), inequity,
transgression(s)" in Wisdom Literature and Psalms (in BH) in order to check
out whether those terms are translated consistently or appropriately. And
other key terms like those, too. )
So it may be primarily according to Biblical Hebrew, but not disregarding
theologically important terms.
I have also TW CD which has 'cheklists of key biblical terms in the NT (RSV
text)'.
This is the one I am looking for right away, but at the same time more
serious studies like KTBH.
Here I have one more question, i.e., what is major differences between
NIDOTTE and KTBH project?
When would the KTBH be available to translators?

HH: There is a a project called The Bible Knowledge Word Study that you might want to consider, though it is not complete yet. It was originally called The Bible Knowledge Key Word Study, but the editors dropped the word "Key" after the publication of the first volume or so. It goes through the entire Bible looking at key words in context. One word may get treated several times if it has substantially different uses or is quite important in more than one place or book:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=442656&event=CF

HH: Here is a blurb by the publisher on one of the volumes:
http://tenderfoot.windborne.net/nextstep/product_info.php?products_id=5693&osCsid=9bfd55599fbf801...

Bible Knowledge Series
-by
(David C. Cook; 0781442648)
Words-the building blocks of Scripture-reveal mind-changing concepts about God and His world. For that reason, The Bible Knowledge Key Word Study may be one of the most important Bible resources of modern times. Pastors and lay persons, new or seasoned teachers will find this the perfect study companion for understanding the basic meaning of key words of the Bible, their origin, and their meanings in context. The Key Word Study is practical, too, with critical words appearing in the order that they appear in your Bible, arranged book-by-book, chapter and verse. For the benefit of those you teach and for your own personal enrichment, put this resource alongside your Bible and let the insights begin.

HH: However, the work will not help you to see whether a word has been translated consistently through the Bible. It is better for showing the significance a word has in various contexts.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard