b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Striped leopard? was: Flying or Darting in Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Striped leopard? was: Flying or Darting in Isaiah 14:29 and 30:6
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:41:58 +0100

On 10/04/2006 12:57, Karl Randolph wrote:
Jack:

The more I get into lexicography, the more I realize that there are many words, particularly among those used fewer than five times in Tanakh, that are largely unknown as to their meanings. This is especially true of animal names, even as early as LXX, many animals that were extent when Tanakh was written were no longer found in Israel. I listed the case of NMR where published dictionaries were unanimous in claiming that it means "leopard", however in Jeremiah 13:23 it is mentioned as having stripes. Are there any leopards that have stripes? I have never heard of any.

But are the lexica unanimous that XBRBRH in this verse means "stripes" rather than "spots"? I think not. Translations are certainly not unanimous, for several, including KJV, have "Can... the leopard change its spots?" or similar. This is another word which appears only once in the Hebrew Bible.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)