b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: Genesis 3.8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <jenks AT gilanet.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: Genesis 3.8
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:19:56 +0200

The reading "voice" is fine. While you cannot say in English, "voice was
walking," you can find close approximation in "voice was rolling."
The meaning of ruah is ambiguous. I'm inclined to read gan lruah, that is,
"the garden made for spirit (or human breath, since everything else was
waterless)".
Overall, I would read Gen3:8: "In the [same] day, they heard the voice of
God rolling in the garden [which was made] for breathing."

Vadim Cherny

> Most translations of this verse translate the Hebrew word "voice" as
"sound"
> and the word "spirit" as some meteorlogical term such as "cool," rather
than
> voice and spirit. Would it not be in keeping with the entire message of
the
> Bible to keep to "voice" and "spirit"?
>
> To translate as such would it go against the Hebrew grammar of the verse?
>
> Thanks,
> Harold Jenkerson

  • [b-hebrew] Fw: Genesis 3.8, Vadim Cherny, 03/15/2006