b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] David's sons were priests?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: tladatsi AT charter.net
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] David's sons were priests?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:13:20 +0000

On 20/02/2006 21:47, tladatsi AT charter.net wrote:
Yes but my point was that they were worshiping Yahweh, not some other god.
This line of priests in Dan were Yahwehists and not Aaronide. That is the
only point.

And my point is that Jeroboam's priests in Dan and Bethel may also have been "Yahwehists" in that they were worshipping Yahweh, whom they represented as a bull - of course not recognising the commandment against graven images. This is what Aaron did with the original golden calf, for to him worshipping it was a festival to Yahweh, Exodus 32:5,6. And the close parallels between this golden calf and Jeroboam's ones are not accidental.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)