b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 'appeden - "Persian Loan Word"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Robert Dee" <rdee AT coastalnow.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 'appeden - "Persian Loan Word"
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 00:26:33 -0500

Dear Herman:

Thanks again for your reply

>I didn't think your question was a waste to ask, I'm sorry if I might
>have given that impression.

You didn't imply this at all. It was just some musing on my part out loud. I
appreciate anything you have to say
about the question.

>The Daniel text under discussion isn't a simple one to interpret, and
>especially a question like whether the presence of a loanword is
>significant or not, is very difficult to answer.

You are certainly right about that. And it would be difficult to assess why
an angel would use
that particular word too. (although, he might say something similar to John
7:14)

On my first question I was a little vague because I didn't want to predispose
anyone or accidently
limit what kind of answers I might get. Its always possible for several
people to have pieces
of the whole that could be put together

>Because people forget easily about etymology. Then, a
>word that is a loanword in one period will someday cease to be a
>loanword. Otherwise, we could end up having languages that almost
>consist of loanwords only, such as English.

>What's important, at least that's what I feel, is that we don't
>analyse the word *appeden ???? by itself, but the entire verse or line
>that it's in.

You are right of course. And with regards to the words in Dan 11:45, the
angel said what
he did in 12:4. So that point (that you just made) might be most significant.
It certainly
calls for balance at least when it comes to putting too much emphasis in one
word.

>Your suggestion of the king or emperor that goes along
>with the military and watches the battle in some kind of extra royal
>tent or pavilion - which is the flavour added by the ????, does sound
>good. Herodotus mentions that picture if I'm right - and exactly for
>Persian kings (against the Greeks).

Ahasuerus (of Esther fame) mounted up quite a force against the Greeks (Dan
11:2)
Over half a million maritime forces and over 2 million total. If I remember
correctly, H G Wells
mentions him watching from a hill top as his fleet was slaughtered. Wells
mentioned the battles
at Marathon and Salamis, in which the Greeks defeated Aghasuerus' force, as
changing the
course of history. (At the time, the Greeks were experimenting with something
called Democracy.)

Years later Darius (III - ?) fled in battle from Alexander - but his family
was captured!!
Imagine bringing your family along to watch the Normandy invasion or the
great tank battle at Kirsk

One thing about the palace tents in Dan 11:45 - the king of the North meets
his end there.
The prophecy indicates no more history about him afterwards. So the mention
of his
palace tents might be helping to signify this. (at the least, anyways) He,
along with his forces, go down.
There is no fleeing back home for another try later.

>Best regards,
>Herman

And best regards to you too, Herman. If you ever come across anything else
please keep me in mind.

Robert Dee
Walthourville, Ga USA
rdee AT coastalnow.net