b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 12:2
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:43:00 -0500

This is a term we have discussed before.

While I agree with Rolf that there is a core meaning
(though the concept of "hiddenness" is brought out by
the Hiphil, not Qal, indicating that it is a derived, not core
meaning), translation is a different matter.

>From the different contexts, it is clear that the term has a
broad meaning, referring to an indeterminate span of time
whose end is not expected to be known at the time
spoken, which can include eternity as the end of the span
of time in unknowable because it never ends. While to the
ancient Hebrew, when he heard the term (WLM he had no
problem with the concept, a modern listener in English
would not understand as we have no such term, nor even
concept, in the English language. Instead we have
different terms to refer to different sub-meanings within
(WLM.

As a translator or reader of a translation, where there is
such a disconnect between the language translated from
to the language translated to, I consider it translator
malpractice not to use different terms where appropriate.
Of course, sometimes that results in some judgment calls,
but so be it. That's why scholars learn the original
languages.

Karl W. Randolph.