b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] CV syllables, was music in Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:07:52 +0100

Dear Karl,

We may not end up agreeing about the "CV syllable only" character of
biblical Hebrew that you, unlike the communis opinio, think is
possible.
To your theory I add just a few more objections - that I trust won't
fail to convince you.

There are many bi-consonantal roots where the second consonant is
lengthened/doubled. These could theoretically be described, therefore,
as triconsonantel roots. Take SBB סבב. The problem for your theory is
that Hebrew both has forms like sovev סובב, s'vavuni סבבוני, or lisbov
לסבב on the one hand, and sabbuni סבוני, y'subbenu יסבנו, or sobbi סבי
on the other.

Now in your readings of unvocalised Hebrew, the latter forms naturally
lack the indication they are lenghtened/geminated. In the MT reading,
all those forms have CVC syllables. It would be hard to imagine that
those consonants originally hadn't been lenghtened, because the
gemination precedes, and in fact probably causes, the tri-consonantal
layout of the bi-consonantal root.
There are many of those roots. In cognate languages these roots behave
very similarly, for example Arabic has both the words sabab سبب as
sabb سبّ . All this I simply found in the BH dictionary.
Another example: $DD שדד which both occurs in the shapes shadduni
שדוני, or y'shaddem ישדם ; and on the other hand y'shad'dem ישדדם,
shad'du שדדו, shoded שודד and a lot of others.

A second objection to your idea is the verbal system. It is hard to
imagine why Hebrew would have the pi'el and pu'al - which Hebrew has
in common with a.o. Aramaic (pa'el) and Arabic (stem II) - if it would
lack original CVC syllables. Simply because the only essential feature
of pi'el is the gemination. The same is true for the "definite
article", a form that essentially is nothing more than a lengthened
consonant in the noun.

I do like your brave non-conformism to the communis opinio. You know I
am a dissident myself in some points ;) But in this case I feel your
theory of preference is extremely improbable.

Best regards,
Herman